Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 A Local Currency?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 4

JWFITZ
Punatic

1362 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  11:27:14  Show Profile  Visit JWFITZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would anyone be interested in forming a cooperative that advocated a local currency?

Please do a little research in how effective local currencies can be for building community. There are large numbers of groups around the world that have been very successful in creating and using local currency, and with the freeware computer software that exists--like this website: http://project.cyclos.org/--use of a local currency is no more complicated than using any other debit card. A local currency is always created on sensible and sustainable terms, requires that capital stays within a community, and strongly encourages real local economic activity. I'd be very keenly interested in putting such a program together, and would be more than willing to work for local credits.

Think about it. There is hardly a more effective way for a community to in a real manner create real community sustainability or sovereignty than being in firm control of its own currency. This would be a huge step for a better future if we could put it together.

Here is more info, if it's helpful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Exchange_Trading_Systems" target="_blank"> br / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Exchange_Trading_Systems

If we get ten people to pledge on--let's meet and roll on this. Someone has to make the first step, and that's always a bit of a leap of faith.

Edited by - JWFITZ on 12/29/2008 08:19:21

Chuysmom
Punatic

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  16:33:30  Show Profile  Visit Chuysmom's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Isn't there already a local currency? I thought I read about Hawaiian money...is it just a souvenier kinda thing?

HERE IT IS...I found it: http://www.hawaiidala.com/announce/dalacert_1.html

Carrie Rojo

"Every area of trouble gives out a ray of hope; and the one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Edited by - Chuysmom on 12/28/2008 16:34:24
Go to Top of Page

Jon
Da Kine

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  18:30:17  Show Profile  Visit Jon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL

I am pretty sure this is the local currency...

Currancy

and if thats not it, you can use...

Hawaiian Currency

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Chuysmom
Punatic

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  19:08:05  Show Profile  Visit Chuysmom's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ROFLOL, Jon!! The truth is always funnier, yeah?

Carrie Rojo

"Every area of trouble gives out a ray of hope; and the one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Go to Top of Page

punafish
Punatic

1224 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  19:19:56  Show Profile  Visit punafish's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, the dollar ain't worth a dime...87 yen and counting down. Weed might actually give you more bang for than your buck.

“The superior man can see a question from all sides without bias. The small man is biased and can see a question only from one side.”--Confucius

Edited by - punafish on 12/28/2008 19:22:43
Go to Top of Page

Jon
Da Kine

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  19:44:00  Show Profile  Visit Jon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
your are right its worth 10 dimes... and seems to be doing just fine paying my bills and putting food on my table....

Maybe you need to try to use Yen at Safeway...

quote:
Originally posted by punafish

Unfortunately, the dollar ain't worth a dime...87 yen and counting down. Weed might actually give you more bang for than your buck.

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Jon
Da Kine

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  19:48:52  Show Profile  Visit Jon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On, and just think, as the Dollar goes down, that means more Tourism for Hawaii... But than that would be looking at the bright side of things... and we can't have that... not until Jan 21st... Than all will be well. (Except was was not all that bad to begin with.)

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

punafish
Punatic

1224 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  19:59:36  Show Profile  Visit punafish's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm always looking at the bright side of life, actually benefiting from the current yen rate. Got no ax to grind or political agenda...just like to keep an open mind rather than lock myself into any political dogma. LOL

Go to Top of Page

Devany
Punatic

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  03:22:53  Show Profile  Visit Devany's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think this would be a fantastic idea. Is it also free of excise tax? My only concern is how does one that is retired or not able to do physical work acumilate credits?

quote:
Originally posted by JWFITZ

Would anyone be interested in forming a cooperative that advocated a local currency?

Please do a little research in how effective local currencies can be for building community. There are large numbers of groups around the world that have been very successful in creating and using local currency, and with the freeware computer software that exists--like this website: http://project.cyclos.org/--use of a local currency is no more complicated than using any other debit card. A local currency is always created on sensible and sustainable terms, requires that capital stays within a community, and strongly encourages real local economic activity. I'd be very keenly interested in putting such a program together, and would be more than willing to work for local credits.

Think about it. There is hardly a more effective way for a community to in a real manner create real community sustainability or sovereignty than being in firm control of its own currency. This would be a huge step for a better future if we could put it together.

Here is more info, if it's helpful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Exchange_Trading_Systems" target="_blank"> br / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Exchange_Trading_Systems

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Go to Top of Page

esnap
Kamaaina

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  03:40:41  Show Profile  Visit esnap's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe they could raise veggies, Baby sit, sew, crochet, build furniture. The possibilities are endless.

Prior to the New Deal, the idea of being a slacker at any age was a foreign concept.

Old folks have a lot of experience and are valuable to the family in myriad ways.

Go to Top of Page

JWFITZ
Punatic

1362 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  07:24:42  Show Profile  Visit JWFITZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I imagine a local currency would be subject to taxes in the same manner everyone dutifully pays taxes on the "points" they receive from the grocery store, or their "air line miles," both forms of currency and income.

The most important aspect of a local currency is that wealth generated within the community stays in the community. If I build a chicken coop and get paid in local script--the employer is assured that their money stays here, and they're actually to some degree enriched for the building of the coop. This may well be interesting to them if they want to sell eggs at some point. When you pay in mainstream currencies, you have no such guarantee. In fact, if you pay in the US dollar you know that a good percentage of it will go to support policies that do not have yours, or Hawaii's, best interests at heart. The personal choice to use, at least in some part, a local currency, is a bone fide offer of real faith in a local community.

As well, local community currency is inherently non-inflationary in structure. One might find that aspect interesting also.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Orts
Punatic

1640 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  07:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question, how does one get this "local script" to pay others?
quote:
Originally posted by JWFITZ

If I build a chicken coop and get paid in local script--the employer is assured that their money stays here

If I was building a house and wanted to use this system, wouldn't I have to BUY the script somewhere? Wouldn't that require holding the underlying value up with something of equal value such as US currency?
Go to Top of Page

Jon
Da Kine

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  07:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Jon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can print some up for you...

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

JWFITZ
Punatic

1362 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  07:53:14  Show Profile  Visit JWFITZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jon, you ought to get a job at the fed. They're looking for folks like you.

I'll post a couple of examples of how stuff like this is funded. There are many examples with many different intents, and depending on what the intent of the currency founds is--there are different ways of going about it.

Which, of course, is key to the discussion--what is the intent? From my perspective it comes down to one thing. I'd like to see wealth created on the island to stay on the island. This enriches us all. I don't mind others bringing wealth here--but it is obviously in all our best interests to have it stay.

Here is a start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_currency

http://www.ithacahours.org/

http://www.smallisbeautiful.org/local_currencies.html

This especially, as it shows a very favorable way of funding the system--in essence, bonds.

http://www.smallisbeautiful.org/publications/essay_currency.html

Edited by - JWFITZ on 12/29/2008 08:06:03
Go to Top of Page

EightFingers
Punatic

USA
2127 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  08:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely not! Who's gonna back it up? Determine its worth? What will the exchange rate be? Who determines THAT?
Go to Top of Page

WASailorGirl

25 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  08:11:32  Show Profile  Visit WASailorGirl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested.

Here is another group headquartered in the Pacific Northwest.

www.fourthcornerexchange.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page