Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Amdro for LFA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

maud gonne
Da Kine

232 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2013 :  17:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you who have used Amdro for little fire ants: is the bait in any way attractive to dogs or cat? I have both and do not want them getting into or even near the bait.

Carey
Punatic

5457 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2013 :  17:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the Amdro Ant Bait, Fire Strike, & Ant Block bait are all edible oil covered corn cob (with the pesticide mixed into the edible oil) it can be an attractant to certain dogs & cats...but it should not be dumped in clumps, so very limited pesticide should be available to a pet...

It can be put into bait stations to lessen a pets contact, but if you use Fire Strike as a yard treatment, it is not as easy to totally eliminate pet contact...but we even use Fire Strike as a directed bait in the stations...and use various other methods to limit pet contact (even taped bait granules on wall trails...

I have switched over to Fire Strike, as it seems to last longer, & has significantly dropped the numbers on our lot (but eliminating the buggers probably will not happen, as they do come in from other yards... luckily a group of neighbors are now treating)

One of the biggies is to treat the trails & the TREES, one of the Punawebbers posted about wrapping the bait in foil & wrapping it into tree limbs...this is helping us, but have yet to treat all of our bananas...which seem to be a LFA fav... have really cut done the numbers in our citrus with this method...
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Kamaaina

987 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2013 :  08:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our dog will bite open a bait station to get to the amdro and our chickens will hunt, scratch out, and eat every last granule if we let them. I had to devise my own method to rain and animal-proof the amdro. I sprinkle the amdro on the ground and then take a small piece of corrugated steel roofing and place it over the amdro. Then I put a few big lava rocks on top of the roofing.

I agree that the fire strike seems to last a little longer, but it also costs a lot more. They might balance each other out in the long run. I'm getting the amdro for just under $10/pound with free shipping through amazon. Might be cheaper through BEI if they sell it but its probably a huge amount that spoils before you can use it all. One problem with these products is that in the high humidity of Hawaii you need to use it up right after you open it. Or else the ants aren't attracted to it.
Go to Top of Page

taropatch
Da Kine

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  15:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up. Today saw that Ace Hardware (hilo) has 2 pound bags for $20.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page