Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Recomend Fencing type?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

nanawaledeej

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  09:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are thinking of fencing the front of the lot off. Curious as to what would be recomended for Nanawale Estates. We have the usual lava cover under exsisting top soil. Also any suggestions or recomendations on fencing people.
deej

"Today I am better than yesterday, but not as good as I will be tomorrow."

David M
Punatic

USA
2025 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  17:21:03  Show Profile  Visit David M's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Given the recent publicity have you considered an inner and outer wall separated by a moat? :)

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Go to Top of Page

nanawaledeej

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  19:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David your levity to the question is appreciated, and that was our 1st choice. However the maintanace and upkeep seemed a little high in cost, not to mention just how much raw meat would have been needed to feed the tiger sharks. Any other thoughts out there?
deej

Go to Top of Page

oink
Punatic

USA
2539 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  19:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Electrified chainlink topped with coiled razor wire.
Sorry.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Go to Top of Page

Hawaii Bound
Da Kine

180 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  19:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nanawaledeej

....not to mention just how much raw meat would have been needed to feed the tiger sharks. Any other thoughts out there?

Alligators, they are a lot less maintenance and you won't have to dig the moat as deep either!

Are you looking at a fence more for aesthetics or for keeping something in or out?

Edited by - Hawaii Bound on 05/24/2013 19:55:07
Go to Top of Page

2liveque
Da Kine

204 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  23:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just got our lot in lower section of HPP fenced by Bobby Baring of Hawaii Fence Pro. He did an awesome job. He did a chain link fence with two swinging gates in the front of the property. Hog wire on the sides and back. He worked really hard because there is not much of a soil base here either. He brought in a jack hammer one day and got all the fence pole holes drilled. In the end, he fortified all t-posts with concrete. Very sturdy and build with great care. The corners were of a heavier gauge pole and braces. In short, you can do whatever you want on your property. Chain link, hog wire, wooden, rock wall, etc. You just need to right tools and your willingness to bust your okole working hard. If not, call Bobby. Good worker.
Go to Top of Page

nana valley
Kamaaina

604 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  16:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feed the shark with an unlimited supply of mosquitoes.

You recently mentioned that your place was robbed. Would you consider a fully enclosed fence so that you could have a dog or two. I didn't take the advice seriously enough about protecting my property with dogs but I have come to believe that is the best way.

My understanding is that you can go to jail for protecting yourself from a home invader if you cause death or physical injury to the criminal! So dogs...best bet but keep them fenced so that us walkers are not in harms way as we walk by your house.

And welcome to Nanawale! It is a beautiful place. I was sad to read about your robbery while you were gone. Start fresh today with a good attitude about Hawaii and you will be fine.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Go to Top of Page

nana valley
Kamaaina

604 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  16:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oink

Electrified chainlink topped with coiled razor wire.
Sorry.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

LOL....hilarious. Don't forget the Rottweilers, too. And security cameras.

Go to Top of Page

shave_ice
Da Kine

239 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  17:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in Nanawale Estates too and about 80% of my property is fenced now. The property already had a chainlink fence and gate on most of the front of the property and we just put in a hogwire fence on one side and most of the back. The hogwire type fence was done by Vinylscape Fencing. They got it done over a couple of days for about 350 feet. They did a good job and I would recommend them. There is a good amount of soil here, but there were also a few large lava boulders they had to bust through. Probably left over from the original leveling of the land.

The front part of the property that has the chainlink fence with gate was done by Big Island Fencing. It was put in by the previous owners so I don't know what their experience with that company was, but I do like having the fence very much.
Go to Top of Page

nanawaledeej

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  19:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo everyone for the feedback. Will be there in a few days to survey the situation and maybe make some phone calls from your suggestions.

deej
Go to Top of Page

Lin W
Da Kine

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  01:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago I had Big Island Fencing cross fence my lot. There were three gates, one on each side of the house, and one in the center breezeway. They installed the fence, carefully measured for the gates, then built the gates exactly the size of the openings, leaving no room for hinges or latches. They just skewed the hinges sideways so the gates would fit but only swing in one direction. I had already paid in full before I discovered the gates didn't work properly. They refused to rebuild the gates and after battling with them for months and getting nowhere, I finally just gave up and make do with the one-way gates. Just FYI.

Today is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you'll ever be, enjoy this day!
Go to Top of Page

Wuzzerdad
Da Kine

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  05:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forget the fences, invest in a covert security camera system. Then when they arrest the perps the problem is solved for everybody. At least for as long as the "system" locks them up. Pretty soon they get the idea it is not safe to steal in an area. Word travels fast with dirtbags. Fences are really nice, but it does not keep the dirtbags out. (in my experience and opinion)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
Go to Top of Page

unknownjulie
Punatic

1426 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  07:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dogs and cameras. Fences are not bad, but I am not sure they really work all that well for security puposes unless you build one like the kind we had in south america. It was brick with coiled barbed wire on the top of it. We had a giant steel gate that was electrical, so the cars could be parked in the "compound" every night. It's just the normal way you have to live down there if you have something. Anywhere there is a large disparity of wealth/possessions/security you have to protect what's yours. We shared a house with a local family that ran a pizzaria and pharmacia.
Hawaii reminds me of New Mexico where I also have lived. If you leave lawn furniture out in your yard for instance, it's just sort of assumed that "it must not be all that important to you and therefore it's up for grabs". I am not saying it is right, but I think the mentality regarding new appliances left in a vacant house here is (by certain segments of the population), "well they are not protecting them, so therefore, they are not so important/irreplacable to the homeowner". The greater the disparity in income/possessions, between groups, the more security you will need, whereever you go IMO. And the interesting thing is that I was considered rich in southamerica, while I am considered poor in america. So, I must admit, that being poor and having almost nothing makes it much easier to relax. (as long as the food, housing,and transportation are covered)
Go to Top of Page

birdmove
Kamaaina

USA
563 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  10:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One day about 2 moths ago my Daughter was returning from a run to my house. A Pit Bull was able to scrunch under the brand new fence the home owner had recently had built. This house is 2 lots down from us. The dog bit my Daughter 3-4 times before she got away. I went down to see WTF, and was also attacked, but not bit, because I had a club with me. A few minutes later my neighbors from right next door (lot between the dog owner and us) were returning from their nightly walk and were also attacked and one took a nasty bite. There were witnesses and the Police were called. No charges were filed because the owner through her boyfriend, and his dogs, out of the house.

Daughter was attacked and bit about 6 months ago while riding my bicycle up 23rd to our hose. That dog also ran out of a fenced yard with an open gate.

I will continue to walk and ride my bicycle when I want to. And I will not face an attacking dog bare handed.

Facing an attacking Pit Bull with a club isn't my idea of a good time. At 59 I can still do damage and will if I have to.

What would have happened if a small child would have been walking down my street when that Pit Bull was attacking ANYONE that came by?

quote:
Originally posted by nana valley

Feed the shark with an unlimited supply of mosquitoes.

You recently mentioned that your place was robbed. Would you consider a fully enclosed fence so that you could have a dog or two. I didn't take the advice seriously enough about protecting my property with dogs but I have come to believe that is the best way.

My understanding is that you can go to jail for protecting yourself from a home invader if you cause death or physical injury to the criminal! So dogs...best bet but keep them fenced so that us walkers are not in harms way as we walk by your house.

And welcome to Nanawale! It is a beautiful place. I was sad to read about your robbery while you were gone. Start fresh today with a good attitude about Hawaii and you will be fine.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page