Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 More dangerous driving than ever?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

TomK
Punatic

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  23:02:41  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All,

The last 24 hours has been interesting and a little scary. Driving home after work last night and having stopped at the traffic lights at the H-11/Keaau bypass and got going again when they turned green some idiot drove someone off the road by weaving in and out of the lanes at high-speed. Seems 70 mph isn't fast enough a few seconds after the lights turn green.

This morning at around 8:30am:

1) Driver in a big and new SUV drives at 35-40 mph on H-130 between Kaloli and the Keaau transfer station - everyone upset.

2) Approaching transfer station some drivers lose patience and overtake. One on the shoulder and one on the left - oncoming driver swerves to avoid collision. No where else to go.

3) Nearer the transfer station, which I visit occasionally, I see, in my mirror, another driver in the shoulder about to pass me - what if I was going to turn right into the station?

4) Merging onto H-11 from the bypass I see an idiot who was behind me go straight across into the left hand lane causing many drivers to swerve and brake rather severely.

5) Driving back this evening at dusk - several drivers with no lights.

6) Drove through Keauu and past the high school. Police speed trap and one driver stopped by the police. Despite driving at 25mph I'm tailgated by someone trying to find a way around me (by weaving all over the place).

7) Get on the bypass, join the queue and witness someone in an old black Civic blast by the two lanes of traffic in the shoulder lane. What if there had been a cyclist or pedestrian there?

8) Get to the turn-off for Kaloli Point and see that there's been a big crash which slowed everyone down a mile or so before. Best guess someone turned left from Kaloli onto H-130 and caused a collision.

I don't see this action during every commute but I definitely feel less safe than ever driving from HPP to Hilo and back again. Right now I don't have any suggestions but wondered if anyone else has noticed more dangerous drivers out there or if it's just my perception?

Anyway, drive safely and defensively.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/

KathyH
Punatic

USA
4820 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  23:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, that is horrible.

Not living in Puna, I normally drive 19 and around Hilo, so that is my "norm." I go to Kea'au and Pahoa maybe once every couple weeks, and I definitely notice the weird driving.

I notice that people drive aggressively, or way too slow, and do weird things. Inside HPP the last time there was an incident too. Being passed at what must have been 70 mph on Maku'u in a zone posted No Passing. (I wasn't going slow either. I always do the speed limit.)

I feel the tension slide off when I get back into Hilo. Hilo drivers aren't perfect, but they're nice and drive with aloha.

As for Hwy 19, most of the time it's fairly normal highway driving, not like 130 or even 11. Until you get out in the gulches and there is some very bad driving ... and wrecks.

ETA, in case it's not clear, mentioning the other roads is to say that you are not imagining it ... a person used to driving other parts of East Hawai'i also feels like she's just entered the Outer Limits warp of the space time continuum when heading down 130.

"And I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody, outside of a small circle of friends ~ Phil Ochs

Edited by - KathyH on 11/15/2011 23:58:28
Go to Top of Page

Chuysmom
Punatic

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  08:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Chuysmom's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom, you're not imagining it. I'm not sure why it's so crazy on the roads in Puna. I was driving 55 on the road to Kapoho and someone felt a need to pass me over a double yellow with oncoming traffic. I don't get it.

I would venture to guess that because their chances of being seen or getting a ticket are slim to none, it's like the wild, wild West down here.

Much Light,

Carrie
Go to Top of Page

james weatherford
Punatic

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  08:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shoulder lane between Shower and the transfer station is nuts.
That's OK. The HDOT plans to remove that one, make it a full-time lane, add another 10 feet shoulder (for bicycles) which may well also be used for passing, and put another 'temporary' lane on the other (mauka, south-bound) lane.

Make you feel safer? It shouldn't.
Go to Top of Page

jackson
Da Kine

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  08:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just conjecture of course, but taking the latest census figures into account, it's just too crowded there for the existing roads. Also as many more move in from the Mainland, they bring their driving habits with them.
Go to Top of Page

rusty h
Da Kine

411 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  08:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wild wild west is what i always been told about Puna. I really see younger guys doing this behavior so im assuming many are local raised but i could be wrong. peace
Go to Top of Page

Carey
Punatic

6050 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  09:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, Sunday evening, after dusk, I was sitting at the Bus Terminal parking lot in Hilo, waiting for hubby. I noticed a white car with no lights turning left from Kamehameha onto Haili. The car crept onto Haili & then up onto the sidewalk by the dive shop. Proceeded to go back & forth a number of times to aim onto the Kamehameha frontage (with traffic stopped all around, as the car was blocking the total intersection).

The car then crept forward, in the parking spaces, & almost broadsided a parked SUV. A truck had made the left turn from Haili & was in the one-way lane when a another car turned left from Mamo, going the wrong way on the frontage road! There were 3 cars trying to fit in the one way by honking....

After that was cleared, the white car continued to creep along, banking up onto the sidewalk at Mamo & trapping a number of cars (with honking) while trying to re-align onto the street, then finally crept onto Kamehamahe heading east & out of view, but honks continued down the street, so I'm guessing that there were a few more adventures....

Made for a very interesting ten minutes in Hilo! Wished for either my cell phone or camcorder.... still do not know which would have been better!
Go to Top of Page

macuu222
Punatic

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
2179 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  09:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

That's OK. The HDOT plans to remove that one, make it a full-time lane, add another 10 feet shoulder (for bicycles) which may well also be used for passing, and put another 'temporary' lane on the other (mauka, south-bound) lane.

It doesn't. And with the length of time road projects take to complete here....I'll be too old to drive to appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiideborah
Kamaaina

760 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  09:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

Any idea when this will happen?
Go to Top of Page

OrchidIslander
Da Kine

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  09:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jackson

Just conjecture of course, but taking the latest census figures into account, it's just too crowded there for the existing roads. Also as many more move in from the Mainland, they bring their driving habits with them.

That's open to debate. In my experience, the majority of idiotic drivers appear to be young, male and local.

99.9% of the time, wherever I have lived - idiotic drivers tend to be young and male
Go to Top of Page

Radiopeg
Kamaaina

USA
599 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  09:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here on 11 between Kopua and Volcano, the worst driving seems to be at night. Unsafe passing, and tailgating are the most frequent. Add the rain, and it is down right scary. Where is everyone going that they have to get there faster than the speed limit? Listening to the scanner, I have to agree, many people who are stopped are currently unlicensed. And I imagine, no insurance. We could probably double the number of law officers on the road, and not see a dent in it.

Life goes on, with you or without you.
Go to Top of Page

riverwolf
Da Kine

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  10:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about all the drivers who make the left turn into Longs car park at Pahoa, when there are THREE "no left turn" signs. One more thing to beware of when driving out from the car park.
Last week we were eating pizza in front of Boggie Woogie and a lady pulls up and parks on the red curb in front,plus she had her vehicle pointing in the wrong direction !
She looked at us as we looked at her and she just shrugged.

riverwolf
Go to Top of Page

jackson
Da Kine

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  10:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True about 11 going to Volcano. I tend to drive close to the limit. I have never had a ticket for any kind of violation. Not too long ago I was being tailgated by a pickup which could have passed me numerous times. The driver who was rather large followed me into the Volcano Post Office and yelled at me. I asked him to step outside (not to fight) if he wanted to yell at me and explained I was going the limit and if he were in such a hurry, why did he have the time to follow me to the post office? He made a gesture and left. Shrugs all around. Middle aged white guy. Not to say young drivers don't have blame. They are not alone though. Everyone on 130 seems to be in a hell of a hurry. Where are they going, indeed.
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  20:58:07  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I was having a bit of a whinge but have certainly read some interesting stuff above. Strangely, the commute today (HPP-Hilo and back) was just fine - no maniacs at all. Sometimes it just seems like there are days when all the lunatics are let out on the roads and the rest of the time it's OK.

Interesting to read about the Kaloli and Beach incidents. I live near enough I ought to hear them but haven't so far, but have seen the tire marks. Two or three weeks ago I saw tire marks at Pilikai and Beach - someone driving on Pilikai failed to stop at Beach and went into the undergrowth and it looked as though their trip was finally ended by an ohia. The marks are still there but are fading.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mac nut
Da Kine

492 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  21:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in HPP and recently moved from LA. I must say the drivers around Puna are the worst i have seen anywhere. My girl friend wanted to by a small scooter to commute to hilo and i told her no way! I have seen too many accidents and i think scooters are just too risky in east hawaii.

Mac nut
Go to Top of Page

ericlp
Punatic

China
1762 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  22:39:02  Show Profile  Visit ericlp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I normally drive slower than the speed limit sometimes by 5MPH. Here in Waianae they are the same way. I think some of the problems are because there is only one lane and too many people are tired of the back log. I don't blame them but endangering everyone else on the road is NOT the solution ... Puna needs more alternative routs or they need to make MORE lanes into HPP / Pahoa no doubt about it.

But back to me driving under the speed limit... Not every speedometer is adjusted right, I find most newer cars are 3-4MPH under the reported speed....... You can see some of the frustration that other people might have. But.... I won't be tailgated to feel a reason to go any faster. Matter of fact if someone does tailgate me I just go a bit slower to make sure that everyone arrives safe since... speed kills. It's NOT worth it to me to go any faster then the posted speed limit. If you are in a rush than it's your own fault ... you should have left a bit earlier. I agree scooters are a bit risky ... but it depends on the time when you riding them. I would never ride one at night or in rush hour. I might consider riding at later hours of the night for a short distance like a few mile's to a friends house.

Until I see minimum speed signs posted I will continue to go under the speed limit. NOT Excessive by any means but I feel -5 mph is not excessive ... I could care less they can pass me all they want. Tho on a nice day -- level straight road that has a lot of visibility ahead and hardly any traffic I will do the speed limit. It's not like I drive under the speed limit ALL the time. I think some situations call for adjusting your speed esp with a lot of drivers pulling out on the road and weather conditions.

RELAX------- and SPACE OUT ----------- get 2-3 car lengths of space between yourself and the driver in front of you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page