Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Hawaiian Acres
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 4

EvanB777

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  11:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what's the deal with Hawaiian Acres. Is it safe? Lots of crime and theft? We are renting in Leilani right now, but looking for land to build a house and relocate our rare plant nursery.

pslamont
Punatic

USA
2965 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  13:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any subdivision has its safe parts and its riskier areas. Depends on the exact lot. I would use realtor John Dirgo. He is the only agent I know personally who really knows the ins and outs. Not to say no one else does.... but I do know John and he is "the man".

Name
John Dirgo, R, BIC, e-PRO, ABR, EcoBroker
Company
Aloha Coast Realty

http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
Office Phone
(808) 934-7600
Cell Phone
(808) 987-9243
Address
614 Kilauea Ave, Hilo, HI , 96720

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Go to Top of Page

dobanion
malihini

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  18:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few spots that turn into a river when it rains hard.

Flood map:

http://www.hawaiianacres.org/images/floodmap.gif

Edited by - dobanion on 08/16/2011 18:47:33
Go to Top of Page

lquade
Kamaaina

667 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  18:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we really love the acres. like all subdivisions there are good spots and bad spots. maybe the reputation of the wild wild west keeps crime down. according to one police report, less crime than hpp which has a much better rep. i would certainly drive through some evening with your windows down. that and the number of 4 wheel lawn ornaments will give you an idea of immediate neighbors....
Go to Top of Page

EvanB777

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  19:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really helpful information, thanks! Any recommendations on what streets/areas are nice? One thing we love about Leilani is how much attention people pay to landscaping and helping to beautify their land. I realize the acres is a much different subdivision, but it would be nice to live around people who love plants as much as we do.

What area are you in lquade?
Go to Top of Page

John S. Rabi
Punatic

USA
2841 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  20:02:40  Show Profile  Visit John S. Rabi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EvanB777
One thing we love about Leilani is how much attention people pay to landscaping and helping to beautify their land.
Leilani Estates is the nicest subdivision in Puna, why don't you just stay there?

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
(This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors http://KonaBoardOfRealtors.info)
Go to Top of Page

EvanB777

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  05:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because I can't afford to buy and build in Leilani Estates! And we have a nursery which has quickly outgrown what space we have on this rental, so we need a larger lot.
Go to Top of Page

lquade
Kamaaina

667 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  06:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey evan we are on one road. you reach it off south kulani road. i might suggest you call terry braugher with century 21. she has lived in the acres for close to 30 years and really knows the good/bad. i have used her as a realitor for many years. also if it is a concern, only a few of the roads have cable. anyway good luck in your search.
Go to Top of Page

DanielP
Punatic

1639 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  06:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember this; considering all that you will spend on building a house,etc,etc,saving $20K on the land is NOT the best corner to cut.

Dan
Go to Top of Page

David Shaw
Da Kine

154 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  07:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan said:Because I can't afford to buy and build in Leilani Estates
Picking up on what Daniel said above, perhaps you haven't exhausted your possibilities in LE yet. Below I copied a resource url for you; there is one parcel on my street that has contiguous 2 acres listed for 39.5 which is a good price. Remember now is the time to make lowball offers!
Good luck in your land search.

http://www.alohaliving.com/RealEstate/PropertySearch/search.visient?propClass=4&state=6&subdivision=Leilani+Estates

-dwajs
Go to Top of Page

John S. Rabi
Punatic

USA
2841 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  09:28:20  Show Profile  Visit John S. Rabi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EvanB777
Because I can't afford to buy and build in Leilani Estates!
There have been a few sales in the high teens in Leilani, so I don't think you would save much by buying in HA. Not to mention the totally different area/neighborhood.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
(This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors http://KonaBoardOfRealtors.info)
Go to Top of Page

EvanB777

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  09:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the price of one acre in Leilani, we can get at least 3 in the acres. Also, since we don't have huge cash flow, we can build a permitted yurt in acres to live on, but last I checked this was not allowed in Leilani Estates.
Go to Top of Page

EvanB777

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  09:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We looked at the lot on Luana with 2 acres and nursery structure, and were met by a very angry man who threatened litigation on anyone who purchased the lot and claims the seller has fraudulently taken over the family trust. It looked like a great deal, but the bad energy around it really turned us off.
Go to Top of Page

EvanB777

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  17:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any pros and cons to Orchidland as compared to the acres?
Go to Top of Page

csgray
Punatic

2565 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  17:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After living there I am convinced Orchidland has more minutes of rain than anywhere in Puna, not more inches, just more minutes of misty gray drizzle that pervades everything. I moved here after 25 years in the Pacific Northwest and Orchidland was too wet for me. I commuted to Kurtistown through Hawaiian Acres when I lived there, and HA had WAY more sun on a daily basis.

As far as sketchy roads and neighbors go, I think they are about the same mix of good and bad.

Carol
Go to Top of Page

Kapohocat
Punatic

USA
4698 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  17:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Hi Acres and have lots of friends that live there, and lived up there from 2002 to 2005. Especially like it at this time of year so I invite ourselves up to our friends on weekends! I probably enjoy the group up there as they are more like us - work hard at a regular jobs, and arent as "retired" as the group where we currently live. HA has a lot more of a live and let live attitude.

Years ago I worked as the Association office mgr and crime was about the same as every else. They have a pretty close knit community and lots of old timers, and really involved NW and volunteer FD.

I actually would live there rather than Leilani if I had to choose between the two, buts thats me. Years ago Leilani had almost a worst rep than Hi Acres but they too have cleaned it up A LOT.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page